The site of the original Fort Buenaventura is now a Weber County park.
Ogden is the closest sizable city to the Golden Spike location at Promontory Summit, Utah, where the First Transcontinental Railroad was joined in 1869.
Ogden is a principal city of the Ogden–Clearfield, Utah Metropolitan Statistical Area, which includes all of Weber, Morgan, Davis, and Box Elder counties.
The 2010 Census placed the Metro population at 597,159.
In 2010, the LDS Church announced a major renovation of the Ogden Temple and the adjacent Tabernacle.
In 1972, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints completed construction of and dedicated the Ogden Utah Temple in Ogden.
Originally named Fort Buenaventura, the city of Ogden was the first permanent settlement by people of European descent in the region that is now Utah.
It was established by the trapper Miles Goodyear in 1846 about a mile west of where downtown Ogden is currently located.
and still handles a great deal of freight rail traffic which makes it a convenient location for manufacturing and commerce.
Ogden is also known for its many historic buildings, proximity to the Wasatch Mountains, and as the location of Weber State University.
In November 1847, Fort Buenaventura was purchased by the Mormon settlers for ,950.
The settlement was then called Brownsville, after Captain James Brown, but was later named Ogden for a brigade leader of the Hudson's Bay Company, Peter Skene Ogden, who had trapped in the Weber Valley a generation earlier.